Sunday, June 7, 2009

I miss Mayberry.....

I just want to say for the record that I am trying to raise my boys to be thoughtful, considerate, kind, compassionate, and caring. I know at times they probably struggle with these things, but I know in their hearts they are trying. I guess I am writing this because I feel our society is witnessing a generation of ungrateful, expectant young people who have never take the time or care to learn the appropriate behavior that will benefit them in their life and more importantly those who share the planet with them. I was in the grocery store the other day and I actually witnessed a young man, looked to be around 23 years old or so, take some peanuts out of the barrel and proceed to eat them while he was walking through the store. Instead of throwing the shells in the trash, he walked over to a display and threw the shells inside leaving the trash for someone else to pick up. I will have to say that at times he would actually throw the shells on the floor leaving that mess as well. I was livid. My sister happened to be with me and we are two girls who have a hard time being quiet when we see someone doing something they shouldn't. Our comments to this young man and his girlfriend were to the point, trying ever so hard to keep a Christian tone. I mean who in their right mind thinks this behavior is ok. Even if this man's parents didn't teach him not to steal food from others and leave your trashy mess behind--it dosen't take a rocket scientist to figure out after 23 years that you don't behave that way. I want to take the time in this blog to thank the older generation. The generation of men and women who taught me through example how to make good commen sense decisions. How to be respectful, and considerate of others possessions and their feelings. To treat someone the way I want to be treated, and to strive to have an attitude of gratefulness for what I have. The Mayberry generation that stops to talk to you on the street, and is genuinely concerned about your well-being. The relationship based generation that doesn't think that you have to cram a million things into one hour, but instead likes to sit on the back porch and drink sweet tea just taking in God's beautiful masterpiece. I am so thankful for this generation that instilled in me values that I am trying ever so hard to teach my boys. I want them to open doors for people, to offer a helping hand when needed. Boys who still open the car door for their sweetheart, and who have a conscience when it comes to making decisions. Getting back to the basics of life.....that's what I want to strive for. No matter where I go, or what I am doing...I want to live my life unselfishly. To love my neighbor and seek God's direction for my life. To those of you out there who are on my side....let's strive to raise a new grateful generation of kids....it starts with us. They will follow our example, and it is our job to follow the Lord's!

No comments:

Post a Comment