Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Playing ball like a girl.....

When the kids and I got home today, we all decided that we couldn't let a beautiful day like today go by, without a walk around our property. The air was warm, the sky was clear, and the neighborhood was quiet. I am pretty sure we were the only ones home. We walked down to Jeff and Michelle's to look for Rachel's new little kittens, and to give a shout out to Bud. It was so much fun. Just the boys and I. It got me thinking about how as the boys get older they spend more and more time with their daddy, and less and less interested in the things a girl might like. I can see that if I am going to spend time with them I am going to have to become more interested in things like hunting, fishing, and other outdoor activites. The boys think that as far as they know the only girls in the family that play sports are Rachel and Caitlyn. The other day I did however, surprise Drew when he asked me to play catch with the football. I said sure, and off we went. He had the ball so the first throw was to me. As he was throwing it he said, Mom do you think you can throw a spiral to me out here or do I need to scoot up?" I replied, "Well I'm not sure, but I'll try." As I began to throw the football Drew could see that in fact I could throw a football, and a spiral at that. His eyes were as big as saucers, and he said and I quote, "WOW Mom that is the best spiral I have ever seen, Dad did you know Mom could throw a spiral?" Smiling, I asked him if he had ever watched his aunt Heather throw a football, or watch his Nana play softball (she was quite the ball player in the late 70's early 80's! I asked him if he remembered Michelle hitting grounders to Alex and Rachel, or know that Memaw used to be the one who played baseball with Daddy and Jeff? Do you remember all of the times I hit grounders and threw pop flies to you and your brothers when you were little? I guess I do hold some of those not so distant memories for the boys and still have a few surprises up my sleeve. Even some hidden talents my boys have not discovered yet. I am glad I can keep them guessing about me. One thing I do now for sure. I am going to keep myslelf active in the things my boys love. I want to stick as close as I can for as long as I can! They may not always want me right in the middle of things, but I know they will always want me around. They'll always need a shoulder to cry on, and an ear to listen when life gets tough. I just want to be exactly what they need when they need it. Isn't that what's so wonderful about the Lord, He is ALWAYS exactly what we need when we need it. He never changes and never will. He is the same today, yesterday and forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment