Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Momma Bear

Calling all you mothers out there...I have a question for you. Have you ever experienced a time when you overhear a conversation and someone, not knowing you were there within listening distance, is criticizing your child? Then suddenly...out of nowhere...the mommy claws start to appear. Well, through recent years I have experienced this strange phenomenon. An unfamiliar sensation comes over me, and I feel like an out of control momma bear protecting her cubs. Now don't get me wrong...if I feel the need to be critical, there is no hesitation, but if someone else steps in and wants to give their two cents...I don't seem to fair well, why is that? I guess the Lord puts such a love in our mother's hearts that we feel the need to protect our young. That is our job...or is it? Of course parents are to protect their children, but the Lord has shown me, that it is He who protects. It is He who keeps them from harm, and teaches them lessons through difficult situations. I am here to say that He has given me such a love for my boys...that at times I guess I am blinded to the truth of some situations. That is why He is in control, and I am not. I am sure that I would step in and try to make things "better"....but in all reality, making things worse. He knows a persons motive, and He knows my motives as well. (scary thought) In the book Power of a Praying Parent, Stormie Omartian helped me see that being a praying parent doesn't mean that nothing will ever happen to my boys, or that they will never experience the pain that comes from being hurt by someone they love. They will, because pain is a part of life in a fallen world. The Bible assures me that my prayers are vital in keeping trouble from them. I just have to remember that when hurt comes to one of them, I can be there to comfort them, but the Lord is the ultimate comforter. I am here to help them stand on the promises of God. To help them endure and learn from every situation they are faced with. Parenting isn't easy on the heart. I am sure you mothers, who are reading this can attest to the fact that when our children are hurting it seems that we are hurting just as much, or more for them. We know the pains of growing up--it's a hard world out there and we want to protect them. If we could, we would take all that pain away, but God has bigger plans for them. He has plans to prosper them, and not to harm them. He gives them a future and a hope. That is the promise I stand on when my boys are faced with something difficult. The Lord reminds me that He has plans for them, I am just here to help guide them into the life He has already set in motion. I just have to remember to get out of the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment