Saturday, January 17, 2009

Home.....

I was talking with a friend today and we were discussing how good it feels, when you have been away (for a long or short period of time) to come home. Home should be a refuge for our children to run to at the end of the day. When everything around them feels lost--home is a place where they are found again. A place where laughter rings, and someone with a smile is there to greet you at the door. A place where pleasant words are spoken in tenderness and love. In Proverbs 16:26 the Bible says that "Pleasant words are like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul and health to the bones." The Lord brings this scripture to my mind frequently when I have just opened my mouth and said something I really want to take back. I want my words to be life-giving. I want when our children are grown and leaving home to remember our home as a place where they felt the Lord's peace, and the arms of His love. David said something last Sunday morning that I have since thought about a lot. We were talking about taming the tongue and he said that in James 3:8, it states that, "It is impossible to tame the tongue" and that in Matthew 12:34, the Lord says, "For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks." He then said that it all depends on what our hearts are filled with. If our hearts are filled with the Holy Spirit and the truth of the Word of God we will produce godly speech that brings life to the people we speak to and also to ourselves. He said that we cannot tame our tongue, but the Lord can. He can fill us so much that when we open our mouths to speak we are speaking His truth. I pray that I am a wife, mother, daughter, sister, grand-daughter and friend that speaks with the Holy Spirit's leading. Help me Lord to fill my heart daily with the Word of God, so that when I open my mouth my words are encouraging, uplifting, honest and loving.

No comments:

Post a Comment